I get a great newsletter from a group called MNN (Mother Nature Network). It carries a ton of different bits of information. The latest one that caught my eye had something to do with me, or so I thought.
Microsleep – I thought it was going to be information that could tell me why I can’t seem to get more than 4 hours sleep a night – nope!
The article states that a bunch of us (me included) go through micro – sleeps during our day – WHAT??? Apparently, I have been doing this for decades and didn’t even know it had a name. I hate to say it, but I am also guilty of the driving micro – ouch!
The article goes on to tell me that the only cure is to get 7 to 9 hours of sleep per night (yes, I am laughing hysterically right now). Well, that was just a big help wasn’t it – not!
It is nice to know that I am not alone when I do this. It is also nice to know that it can happen to anyone at any time. It would be better to know ways to stop or cure it. Here are my tried-and-true methods for handling this epidemic:
1) THE MICRO IN THE CAR CURES:
- Bag-o-chips: doesn’t matter what kind you favor. The crunching seems to help to keep me alert.
- Heavy duty mint gum: (or cinnamon if you prefer) the taste and smell help to keep me from drifting off.
- Open windows: “WARNING” this one may cause your sleeping passenger (in this case my sister usually) to slap you upside the head for making her freeze.
- Turn up music: “WARNING AGAIN” for the same reason the open window may not work – – unless it happens to be her favorite rock song.
- Sing along with the song: “HUGE WARNING” If you cannot carry a note, do not attempt this method of staying awake. It may cause a black eye and several bruises (especially if you don’t get the hint!).
Well weary warriors, hope these micro shares help you in your endeavors. A little side note: Should you microsleep when you are gardening – got with it! My suggestion is to simply lay down on the warm ground and take a good nap. If you are really lucky, no one will ever know, and you can wake up refreshed!