“It all trickles down from the top.” “All Politicians are self-centered liars.”
“The bigger the company is, the less it cares about its employees.”
Sound familiar? All too familiar for me. I used to say all of that and more. There was always someone or something else to blame for things that were happening to me.
Then, when I was about 30 years old, I realized something. Something that really happened in my life which proved that all of this was wrong.
The man that caused me to lose my job, right after my disable daughter was born, got fired – and I was nowhere near him when it happened. The truth gets even better:
I worked as the Accounts Receivable Clerk for an automotive firm – great owner, rotten Office Manager. The owner happened to be gone when I came back to work after giving birth. I had made the following arrangements with a specialist to begin work on my daughter.
- Every Tuesday morning, I would get up early, soak and remove her little casts (I used a steak knife to cut them off. I used to stick my finger between the cast and her leg to get it cut open – usually ran out of bandaids – ha ha).
- The Doctor then agreed to take us in at 7:30 a.m. (not regular office hours) and edge/twist the feet down a bit more and recast.
- This whole process meant that I was going to be about 30 minutes late for work every Tuesday.
- I calculated that I could compensate for this by not taking a lunch break on those days.
The Office Manager (taking advantage of the fact that the owner was on vacation) told me “This is unacceptable, either you need to have someone else take care of your daughter, or we will have to replace your position.” He knew I was a single mom and this was my only source of income. (I WILL NEVER FORGET THOSE WORDS!)
I looked him straight in the eyes, said “screw you” and walked out!
You can pull whatever you want with me, but NEVER USE MY CHILD to try to get at me. The owner came back, called me in and asked me to come back. We discussed many things (he was, by-the-way, an excellent family man), but I boiled it down to this: “Can you guarantee that the first time I have to call in sick to work because my child is sick, he will not try to pull this again?” He said no. We both cried (yep – a real boss that cared about his employees!), and I left.
Postpartum kicked in, and I felt sorry for myself for about a week. Then I found another job. Through my mother got connected with Shriners for Children (what a Godsend they are!) to work with my daughter’s condition (I had no insurance, no money – all I had was great family support – sometimes that is all a person needs!), and got on with my life.
I had several very close friends that I left at that business, but they stayed in touch. One was the Shop Manager. One day, out of the blue, I received a call from him: “Want a job?”
He went on to tell me they finally found that the Office Manager had been embezzling from the company. (I did leave a hint with him and the owner that it was unusual for an Office Manager not to have books up to date – this guy was ALWAYS 3-6 months behind…now there’s a hint!?!) He was jailed, found guilty, lost his CPA license, had HUGE fines and reimbursements to pay, and last heard – was driving a cement truck.
The lesson that I learned that day was “EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON, ” and I live by this every day. I did not cause the Jerk’s downfall; he did it to himself. I was just lucky enough to hear about it from much loved friends. Karma is a bitch!
Why am I telling you all of this? Because of our wonderful 2016 election here in the USA.
I do not discuss politics or religion with family or friends because I love them. Everyone is allowed their own opinions and just because I do not see eye-to-eye with you, should never mean that I do not like you! This election is the worst I can ever remember regarding divisions.
I am on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and Pinterest and have seen some awful mud-slinging going on in those social sites. This, to me, is wrong! I understand the following things:
- We The People do not speak up enough on our level. We expect our elected local officials to carry our voices to Washington DC, yet somewhere along the way it gets lost. Lobbyists, big corporations, or their own personal agendas override our voice.
- ALL Politicians are in it for the money. Their golden parachute. Do you know that they get to retire with the same income that they resign from the office with? I did not know that great little factoid until I became a government worker – now that’s sad! (Note: I had a lower pee-on type government job so no parachute for me, not even a cloth one boo hoo!)
- Few to no Politicians build their platforms on the good that they have done, and the good that they will do for we the people. Instead, they find all the faults in their opponents or feed you what you want to hear. No intention of actually doing it.
- The biggest reality – this all starts with “me!”
So this year I chose to be happy, to bring more joy into my life and the lives of those around me. I chose to find more humor in everything that I can. I did not remember this was an election year when I made this choice, but I’m glad I am trying. This is my plan:
- Don’t believe any Politician ever again!
- Don’t simply sit back and let them bully me/us/we the people to get what “they” want.
- Take a stand every chance I get (right now it is the pipeline through the Indian Land in North Dakota ) Maybe “I” alone cannot do much, but bunches of “I’s” can do something together!
- Start at my local level to create change! We have issues with fracking waste water that they are trying to dump in our county – not on my watch!
- Push even harder to bring joy and laughter into every day.
So, what do you think of my 5-step plan? Are you laughing with/at me yet? Sorry, I got a bit long in this one my wonderful Readers, but today is the day for “we” or at least “me” to start making changes. Stop blaming everyone and everything else and start taking the steps toward something better.
I think one of my long-term goals will be to find an honest attorney (ya, I know – is there such a creature?) that is willing to try to push a bill to get the “golden parachutes” stopped. It will require the politicians to get a real job after they leave the government one, and retire the same way the rest of the nation has to – the same rate of income, same ups-and-downs connected to the stock market, and same medical insurance. (Now there’s the kicker!) Wish me luck – or at least happy times while doing it!